In 1936 a new passenger motor vessel was built by the Dumbarton shipbuilder William Denny & Brothers for the Caledonian Steam Packet Company's services on Loch Awe, a beautiful inland loch in Argyllshire. She was named Countess of Breadalbane, replacing a small steamer of the same name that dated from the 1880s ( http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=13356). After WW2 traffic on Loch Awe was significantly reduced and the Countess' services could be better utilised on the Clyde. So in April 1952 she was transferred by road to Inveraray on Loch Fyne. For the next 19 years she was a busy member of the Clyde fleet sailing on ferry routes and excursions visiting most parts from the Bridge Wharf in Glasgow to Cumbrae and the Kyles. This picture shows Countess of Breadalbane at Gourock pier, flying her CSP Lion Rampant houseflag at the masthead, about 1968-69 when she regularly operated the Holy Loch service (1967 -71). On its cessation in the latter year she was sold to A C Craven of Dublin but was, soon after, purchased by Gourock ferrymaster W Roy Ritchie who used her for services to Blairmore, Kilmun Kilcreggan and Helensburgh, replacing the renowned old converted MFV, the Granny Kempock. She was renamed Countess of Kempock.
From A Countess on Loch Lomond