Although the Dalmuir yard was designed primarily to build battleshps and battlecruisers by the time that Ramillies was ordered, almost 12 years after the Works were opened, only three of these large naval ships had been built at Dalmuir prior to the construction of the Ramillies. They were the Lord Nelson-class battleship HMS Agamemnon (the first ship laid down at the new works in May 1905), the Orion-class battleship HMS Conqueror (completed in November 1912) and the Iron Duke-class battleship HMS Benbow (completed in October 1914). Apart from the battleships the Dalmuir works produced the cruisers HMS Gluocester, HMS Dublin and HMS Falmouth, the light-cruisers HMS Galatea, HMS Inconstant and HMS Royalist and the destroyers HMS Goshawk, HMS Llewellyn and HMS Lennox.
During that period the yard also built a remarkable variety of merchant vessels; from the humble sewage sludge hopper vessel Shieldhall for Glasgow Corporation, to the lighthouse tender Pharos for the Commisioners of Northern Lights, from the beautiful clipper bowed steam yacht Zaza, (built to William Beardmore's own account) to passenger and cargo liners for the Pacific Steam Navigation Company and the impressive passenger liner Alsation for the Allan Line. As the yard was laid out to build huge fighting ships it was obviously not the most efficient place to build merchant vessels and money was lost. However, the tactic was useful in preserving work continuity and employee competemcy.
From The Beardmore Sculpture