The barque Glenlee is one of only 5 remaining Clydebuilt sailing ships. She was built in 1896 at the Bay Shipyard in Port Glasgow by the firm of Anderson Rodger & Company and was their Yard No 325. She was delivered to the Glasgow-based Sterling Shipping Company being one of a group of 10 steel sailing vessels built to a standard design for them .
She is 245 feetin length with a beam of 37.5 feet and depth of 22.5 feet.
The Glenlee was as a bulk cargo carrier and circumnavigated the globe four times, passing through the fearsome storms of Cape Horn 15 times before being bought by the Spanish navy in 1922 and being turned into a sail training vessel.
The ship was modified and served in that role until 1969. She then operated as a training school until 1981 when she was laid up in Seville Harbour and largely forgotten.
Nine years later she was purchased by the Clyde Maritime Trust and brought back to the river of her birth. At the time of purchase she was named Galatea, having previously carried the names Islamount (from 1899) and Clarastella (for a short time in 1922. Her original name, Glenlee, amd her original port of registration, Glasgow, were restored to her in 1993. Funding for the physical restoration of the ship was came from the Heritage Lottery Fund, European Regional Development Fund, Glasgow City Council, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow and many private benefactors.
A more detailed history of Glenlee can be downloaded from her website at