Various NATO mine countermeasures vessels on a courtesy visit to Yorkhill Quay in 2003. Yorkhill Quay had been built in 1906-07 on the site of John Shearer's former Kelvinhaugh Slip Dock where ships were hauled onto slipways for repair and maintenance. For most of the 60 years that Yorkhill Quay was in commercial service it was used almost exclusively by the famous Glasgow-based Anchor Line for their regular shipping services between Glasgow and New York and Glasgow - India. Prior to World War II it was commonplace to see the Anchor Line's beautiful Clydebuilt, 3-funnelled liners Caledonia and Transylvania berthed at this quay. ( http://www.theglasgowstory.co.uk/imageview.php?inum=TGSE00673&PHPSESSID=0951710014620145476cd99334e8766b )
Both ships were lost due to enemy action during the war. The Anchor Line had been formed from the firm of Handyside & Henderson, the Henderson family (originally from Pittenweem in Fife) being also involved in the D & W Henderson shipbuilding yard slightly downriver from Yorkhill at Meadowside on the west bank of the River Kelvin at its confluence with the Clyde. For a view of Yorkhill Quay in its heyday go to:
Sadly the Anchor Line and its beautiful ships are now a fading memory although the firm's impressive former headquarters building is still a prominent feature of Glasgow City centre at the corner of St Vincent Place and the appropriately named Anchor Lane.
See a picture of the Anchor Line's three funnelled Caledonia at