The firm of Mechans Ltd were in business in Glasgow from the mid 1880s until the 1960s. They are described in archives as 'boatbuilders and constructional engineers'. For most of their existance they operated from the Scotstoun Ironworks which was located between South Street and the River Clyde with the Charles Connell shipyard to the east and Balmoral Street to the west. The firm were well known as builders of ship's lifeboats and they were involved in a Government sponsored project to develop fire resistant lifeboats during WW2 (during WW1 Scotstoun Ironworks had been given over entirely for the manufacture of munitions). Other marine products included watertight doors and the ship's telegraphs. Prior to the Great War the firm was run by Sir Henry Mechan, whose blue Albion (built on the other side of South St) was a familiar sight to the shipyard workers in the area ( http://www.albion-trust.org.uk/gallery1_3.htm ). Mechans had a diverse portfolio and for a time they constructed chassis frames for Albion and for the Bentley Motor Company, which was based near what is now Brent Cross, north of London. In 1948, the firm made an endownment to the University of Glasgow to establish the Mechans Chair of Engineering. As with much of the shipbuilding-related industry of Clydeside, Mechans went out of business in the 1960s.
All of Balmoral's telegraphs were made by Mechans which seems appropriate given the location of Scotstoun Ironworks. Most shipbuilders bought in their telegraph requirements from Chadburn or Mechans but a few, for example Lobnitz (the Renfrew-based dredger specialists), built their own, examples of which can been seen in the Glasgow-registered former sludge vessel Shieldhall, now preserved at Southampton.