Andrew Brown's engines for the paddle tug Clyde of 1851 are just that - two completely independent engines lying side by side, each driving a separate crankshaft each of which, in turn, drove one of the vessel's two paddle wheels. Thus, unlike most paddle steamers, which have a common crankshaft driving the paddle wheels, Clyde's paddles could be turned in opposite rotations making her very manoeuvrable (although uncommon in paddle steamers in general this arrangement was more common in tugs). In this view the simple expansion, single cylinder of one engine together with the piston rod and crosshead (Silver) can be seen on the right side.
Although A & J Inglis went on to establish a successful shipyard at Pointhouse on the east bank of the River Kelvin at its confluence with the Clyde in the early 1860s, and constructed over 500 ships there over the next century, it was not with that firm that Andrew Brown was to find his fame and fortune. In 1860, after ten years as Inglis' Engineering Manager, he was 'headhunted' by William Simons, who had just opened Renfrew's second shipyard after spells of building in Greenock, Canada and at Whiteinch in Glasgow. The new yard lay immediately to the east of Henderson's West Renfrew yard and was curiously titled the 'London Works'.