The coaster Kyles, berthed at the Braehead pontoon is claimed to be the oldest Clydebuilt ship afloat having been built in 1871. (The world famous Dumbarton-built clipper Cutty Sark is 2 years older but she is permanently berthed in drydock. Kyles was Yard No 11 from John Fullerton & Co's Merksworth shipyard on the River Cart at Paisley. Fullerton built around 280 ships at Paisley between 1866 and 1928. Several other shipyards existed at Paisley - the Phoenix Shipyard was operated by Hugh McIntyre from 1877 to 1885 during which he constructed a remarkable total of 123 ships. Fleming & Ferguson took over the yard in the latter year. They built well over 500 vessels there over the next 8 decades. The yard was the last to operate on the River Cart. J McArthur built about 80 ships at he Thistle shipyard in Paisley between 1881 an 1900 when the yard was taken over by Bow McLachlan which built about 100 ships there until the yard was closed in 1931 during the Great Depression. Finally at the Abercorn Shipyard in Paisley Hanna, Donald and Wilson built over 30 ships during the second half of the 19th Century. Thus Paisley was the birthplace of well over 1000 vessels during the 19th and 20th Century but its shipbuilding past is virtually forgotten in the 21st Century. Only Kyles remains as a reminder.