Over the last 300 years more than 400 firms have built a total in excess of 25,000 ships in yards along the Clyde, from Rutherglen in the east to Campbeltown in the west. Details of over 22,000 vessels have been assembled into the 'Clydebuilt Ship Database' - a free website created by Bruce Biddulph based on records originally compiled by Stuart Cameron. A team of several dedicated editors have greatly expanded the scope of the database in recent years.
As would be expected, most of the Clyde-built ships were constructed in yards lining the banks of the river. However, Alley & McLellan were responsible for construction of approximately 500 vessels in the Sentinel Works, which is a significant distance from the nearest riverbank. Almost all of these vessels were supplied as 'knock-down vessels' i.e. first assembled at Polmadie using nuts and bolts then knocked down to easily transportable parts and sent to the client's location - often a landlocked lake in a very inaccessible location in Central Africa, South America or elsewhere. There, they were reassembled using local labour, rudimentary resources and rivits. A significant proportion of the vessels built by Alley & MacLellan were barges of various types and sizes. Most of these vessels had no declared name, at least at the time of building. However, one other interesting vessel built at Polmadie about the same time as Chauncy Maples was the paddle tug Blagovestchensk which was despatched to Siberian owners.
SS Chauncy Maple was first assembled at Polmadie in 1897-99 and shipped in approximately 3500 packages to the Zambesi in the SS Hollingside. From there large number of locals were recruited to haul them overland to Lake Nyasa (now Lake Malawi) where the steamer was reassembled using 35,000 rivits. She was named in memory of a missionary, the Right Reverend Chauncy Maples, Bishop of Likoma, who drowned in the lake in 1895. http://anglicanhistory.org/africa/umca/maples/index.html)
The vessel entered service in 1902 and picture above shows the SS Chauncy Maples as new on the lake in 1905.