By the time that Southsea and Brading were completed at Dumbarton the UK railways had been nationalised and the ships entered the fleet of new Southern Region. A third, similar but not identical, ship was provided by the same builder three years later in 1951, she being named Shanklin. For almost 30 years the three vesssels served on the very busy Solent services where their spacious wide decks (they had a very low length to beam ratio of almost 4:1) were used to great effect. None of the vessels had ever returned to the Clyde during the 1950s, 60s or 70s. This picture, taken from PS Waverley, shows Southsea and Brading in service on the Portsmouth-Ryde passenger service off Southsea War Memorial in 1982. In 1980, Shanklin was withdrawn and was purchased initially by Waverley's owning company, the Waverley Steam Navigation Company (WSN). She was brought to Waverley's base in Glasgow towards the end of 1980. In 1981 she was transferred into the ownership of the new Firth of Clyde Steam Packet Company who renamed her Prince Ivanhoe. The vessel was painted in WSN livery, registered in Glasgow and chartered to WEL for operation in conjunction with Waverley. During 1981 she operated sailings on the Clyde and Bristol Channel and showed signs of becoming a popular excursion ship but, sadly, the fine little vessel was lost after striking an unmarked, submerged object off the South Wales coast on 3 Aug 1981. She was replaced by MV Balmoral almost 5 years later. Southsea became the second of the Portsmouth trio to return to the Clyde, sailing further upriver than before and making her first visit to Glasgow.