Waverley was not such a stranger in this north Ayrshire port as she had visited Ardrossan on occasions during her days with the Caledonian Steam Packet Company to assist in the transport of Arran visitors on busy holiday weekends. In this view she is alongside Winton Pier, the traditional steamer berth of the Caledonian's great rivals, the Glasgow & South Western Railway Company. It was from this berth that the legendary Sou'West paddle steamer Glen Sannox sailed, with passengers brought by express train from Glasgow's St Enoch Station, in the 'Golden Years of the Clyde Steamers' (1889-1914).
Beyond Waverley can be seen another steamship. The old steam tanker Halia, one of the Shell Company's H Class steam tankers was very different from the excursion boat but through her regular visits to the oil company's terminal at Ardrossan she had become a familiar and welcome visitor. She did not survive long into the 1980s, however. The quay at which she is berthed, before its conversion into an oil terminal, had been the railhead terminal of the Caledonian Railway, Montgomerie Pier. Their passengers, on alighting fast trains from Glasgow Central Station, would embark on the renowned Denny-built paddle steamer Duchess of Hamilton of 1890 for the exciting race across the Firth with the Sou'West's 'Sannox'. Apart from being fast, both ships were luxurious fitted out in the style of mini liners. Competition was keen in those days and passenger service was everything.