View downstream during the canting along a section of Stobcross Quay, where dockside sheds had already been removed, to Yorkhill Quay. The two vessels berthed there (Orfeo and Albertwil) were also on long term lay-up - they are re-visited later in this gallery, Between them stands the (by then) derelect river and dock Control Tower and Semaphore Signaling Tower formerly operated by the Clyde Navigation Trust when this section of the River Clyde was amass with ships from around the globe. To the right is the sandstone tower and enginehouse of the former Queens Dock Hydraulic Pumping Station. The powerful steam engines there had forced water into a massive accumulator tank (in the tower) which was fitted with a heavy weight to maintain the hydraulic pressure. High pressure water was conveyed by hundreds of miles of cast pipes around the quays of the very large twin-basin Queens Dock where it was used to power many large cranes and other dockside equipment. Hydraulic power from the pumphouse was also used to slew the heavy swing bridge that once spanned the entrance to the Dock (adjacent to the site now occupied by the Glasgow City Heliport). Subsequently, the pumphouse became an upmarket restaurant but it failed after a relatively short time. It is now accociated with the nearby 'Tall Ship', the Port Glasgow-built barque Glenlee of 1896.
In the distance in the picture can be seen the still operational (in 1982) Meadowside Granary with a vessel alongside Meadowside Quay.