Shown berthed astern of the cutter Brenda (Denny's YN 1453) in James Watt Dock that day in 1982 is the former fisheries cutter Vigilant. Originally built by Denny at Dumbarton (yard No 1280) in 1935 with the appearance of a steam trawler, the vessel had a taller funnel, smaller wheelhouse and shorter whaleback fo'c'stle. She was the third vessel to bear the name Vigilant in the Scottish fisheries protection service. Special attention was given to the elimination of vibration. It was proposed to use electrical welding in her construction but it is not confirmed whether that took place. The price was £35,800 however there was a penalty of £5 per day for late delivery. She was delivered on 17 Jan 1936 against a contract delivery of 20 December 1935 but it is not known if the £140 penalty was exercised. Although looking basically like a Scottish west coast trawler in her orginal form she had finer lines giving her a maximum speed of 15 knots. Various devices were fitted to allow her to masquerade as a commercial fishing boat including grooves in her hull plating to enable false name boards to be fitted, canvas could be rigged to vary (apparently) the gap between the funnel and wheelhouse, the heights of the original funnel and the topmasts could be varied dummy gallows were carried and the square step at the bow could be varied with a rounded board. It has to be stated, however, that none of this camouflage worked particularly well and it was not repeated in subsequent vessels (info The Denny List Part IV) During WW2 she served initially as an examination vessel in the Clyde and later as an accommodation ship at the Campbeltown tug base, renamed Ixion. Later still she was moved to Larne for target towing. In 1945 she moved to Portsmouth as a reserve and. the following April. was designated for 'special service' in the Nore Channel. She resumed civilian service as Vigilant in December 1947. In 1980 she was officially named Vigilant II to free her name for her replacement, the fourth Vigilant, launched at the Ferguson yard in Port Glasgow and fitting out just upriver of the Watt Dock in Lithgow's Kingston Basin during 1982. The venerable craft was sold to Panama registered Sheridan Trading and renamed Vigilant, thus for a short spell there seemed to be two vessels bearing the same name on the Clyde.
Note her prominent black painted galley chimney, a reminder of the days of coal fired cooking ranges at sea