During the late 1970s Yarrow (Shipbuilders)Ltd build a huge covered refitting hall over the No 2 Elderslie Drydock. It is seen here in 1982 when still relatively new. The first two drydocks at Elderslie had been built around 1907 to accommodate the ship repair business of John Shearer which had been displaced from its former Kelvinhaugh Slip Dock to enable the construction of new port wharfage (Yorkhill Quay). A third drydock was added in the 1960s. All three drydocks remain serviceable in 2006 although, in general, over the last 25 years the two 'open' drydocks seem to have been utilised more than the covered dock.