Arguably, the most nostalgic feature of the festival was the temporary return of tramcars to the city after an absence of quarter of a century. Car No 1297 returned to the city of its creation from the National Tramways Museum at Crich. This vehicle is one of six ex Glasgow 'caurs' preserved at Crich, the others being cars No 22, 812, 1100 (in storage, not displayed), 1115 and 1282. In addition Liverpool tramcar 869, which was sold to Glasgow Corporation Transport in 1954, is at Crich but has been restored to her original Liverpool livery.
No 1297 took part in the final procession of tramcars through Glasgow streets in 1962, an event that drew large crowds. Each of the trams at the Festival was sponsored by a company, No 1297 being sponsored by Stakis Hotels. View this picture at x3 for detail of the great standard of preservation of these vehicles.
See the trams at Crich at the following website: