The Overtoun Bandstand being used for the its intended purpose.
It was gifted to the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen in 1914 by local firm J & J White. James White and his wife had a family of 6 girls and one boy at their home, Hayfield, near Rutherglen but later he had a large mansion built at Overtoun in the Kilpatrick Hill's above this wife's home town of Dumbarton. After his death his son, John Campbell White assumed control of the business. He was active in many aspects of public life including politics. As a result of his involvement in the Liberal party he received a peerage and assumed the title Lord Overtoun.
White's chromate manufacturing works in Rutherglen (known as Shawfield Chemical Works) were the largest in the UK employing 900 at its peak. However, the works were something of a mixed blessing. Alhough it provided employment, the workers were exposed to horrible chemical contamination that ate away at the bones in their faces and fingers producing terrible and painful disfigurements. Their clothes were covered in harmful yellow dust and they were known locally as 'White's Canaries' Also the ash wastes from the process were dumped and buried at various sites around the town from which the poisons leeched into the soil and the Clyde - and probably the food chain. Lord Overtoun donated Overtoun Park to Ruglonians and it was set out for recreational sports, principally football but the ash parks were created with waste material from the chromate works! Overtoun Park opened a century ago on 25th May 1908 but Lord Overtoun did not see it as he died a few weeks earlier on 15th February. Perhaps the Overtoun Bandstand should be a memorial to all those who suffered in the cause of the the bichromates of potassium and sodium.
More information on James White can be studied at:
See also the Overtoun House website:
The Overtoun Bandstand can be seen in Rutherglen park