This view is looking east along the original south wall of the canting and south basins of Princes Dock in May 1973. By this time the dock was little used by commercial shipping except for some heavy lift shipments from the west wall of the canting basin.
The large vessel at the south wall in this view is the new cargo ship Orli, built by Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (ex John Brown, Clydebank) for the Haverton Shipping Company. She had moved to the Princes Dock to complete her outfitting following the collapse of UCS
The smaller vessel was the Clyde excursion steamer Queen Mary II. This vessel had been built at the famous shipyard of William Denny & Brothers at Dumbarton in 1933 for the long running excursion services from Glasgow Bridge Wharf to the Clyde coast. These services had been withdrawn in 1969 after which the turbine steamer concentrated on services on the Firth of Clyde. On this occasion, on charter to the enthusiasts' Clyde River Steamer Club , the vessel had returned to Glasgow for a special sailing to commemorate her 40th Anniversary. As her traditional berth was no longer available the vessel berthed in the Princes Dock.