Views from the Clydesdale Bank Tower looking west - The three deserted Govan Graving Docks after the dockside Arrol cranes had been removed without permission.
Dock No 1: Opened 1875
Length 551 feet Width of Entrance 72 feet Depth on Sill 20 feet 10 ins (Spring Tide)
Dock No 2: Opened 1886
Length 575 feet Width of Entrance 67 feet Depth on Sill 22 feet 10 ins (Spring Tide)
Dock No 3: Opened 1897
Length 880 feet Width of Entrance 83 feet Depth on Sill 26 feet 6 ins (Spring Tide)
The first link shows No 3 Dock with three MacBrayne paddle steamers undergoing annual refurbishment - PS Columba is the nearest vessel with PS Grenadier and PS Gael beyond.
The second link is a view across the No 1 and No 2 Docks in the lake 19th C. Clan Alpine is the vessel in No 1 Dock. In the background a Clyde paddle steamer is under repair on John Shearer's Kelvinhaugh Slipdock which was an older shiprepair yard. The Kelvinhaugh Slipdock and Stobcross Slipdock run by Barclay Curle were superceded by the three drydocks at Govan, the Kelvin drydock and the first of three drydocks at Elderslie.
Go to following link for an excellent set of engineering drawings of the docks:
More information on these Govan Graving Docks at
The white houses beyond the docks occupy the site of the former Harland & Wolff shipyard which was previously three yards. One of the yards was occupied by Robert Napier & Son. Adjacent to that yard was the London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Co.
The cranes in the background are in the shipyard that commenced in the 1860s as Randolph, Elder & Co becoming successively John Elder & Co, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Fairfield (Glasgow) Ltd, Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (Govan Division), Govan Shipbuilders Ltd, Kvaerner Govan Ltd, BAE Systems Surface Fleet Solutions Ltd and is now part of BVT Surface Fleet Ltd.