In December 1954 the Clyde Trustees approved a proposal by Lanarkshire steelmakers David Colville & Co to convert General Terminus Quay into an ore discharging facility capable of handling two 530-foot long, 16,000-ton ore ships. The Glasgow cranebuilders Sir William Arrol & Company supplied three giant ore unloaders which dominated the Central Glasgow skyline for the next quarter of a century. The new ore terminal opened for business in 1957. This picture shows General Terminus operating at its peak capability with the bulk carriers Cape Howe and Cape Franklin alongside. Both of these ships were built by the Port Glasgow shipbuilder Lithgows Ltd for the Lyle Shipping Company of Glasgow and they were regular visitors to the Terminus. See details of the vessels at:
A long conveyor belt, running the length of the quay, carried the discharged ore over the public roadway to a 14,000 ton capacity covered bunker from which it was discharged, via two intermediate weigh cars, into the railway wagons. The storage bunker is in the large black building behind the nearest two unloaders. It can be seen in more detail at the following SCRAN website link (Note: a SCRAN subscription is required to see full size pictures there, otherwise you will see a thumbnail version):
The following picture at the SCRAN website show the west end of the site where the quayside conveyor discharged onto a second belt that carried the ore over the roadway before discharging it to a third belt which conveyed it to the storage bunker:
The buildings on the near side of the river, in the picture above, are on Anderston Quay (single storey) and Lancefield Quay (two-storey). They were used by Messrs Burns Laird Lines for their services to Belfast and Dublin until the 1960s and the Waverley Steam Navigation Co from 1975 to date (except 1977-80).
River ClydePacific QuayGeneral Terminus QuayClyde Navigation TrustLyle ShippingAnderston QuayLancefield QuayBurns LairdWaverley Steam Navigation