A view of General Terminus Quay from Finnieston Quay at the end of 1980 and just before demolition of the ore terminal began. The large rectangular stone block on Finnieston Quay was the base of the former steam-powered Finnieston Crane. It was built in 1893 by Cowans Sheldon of Carlisle. A sister crane was built on the west wall of the canting basin of the new Princes Dock in 1895. Both cranes had a maximum lift capability of 130 tons, the largest on the Clyde at the time. The Finnieston and Princes Dock heavy lift cranes, together with another 60 ton crane at Berth No 81 on Plantation Quay were utilised to lift many of the large heavy engineering products of Clydeside aboard ships for export. Principal among these were steam locomotives of which 24,000 were built at the four big works in Springburn and Queens Park. They were also used to lift engines and boilers aboard new ships built on the river when the builder did not have their own heavy lift facilities.
The 175-ton Stobcross Crane (often incorrectly called the Finnieston Crane) was built in 1932 to replace the Finnieston Crane as there was a plan to build a high level bridge across the river at Finnieston Street. In fact that bridge was not built and the Finnieston Crane continued to work with the nearby Stobcross Crane until the 1960s. With the closure of the North Britiah Locomotive Works and many of the Clyde shipyards in the 1960s, the Finnieston, Princes Dock and Plantation heavy lift cranes were demolished and any large loads were handled by the Stobcross Crane.
A 1930s view of the 130 ton Finnieston crane can be seen at the following link. The picture is taken from the temporary crane erected to enable the construction of the new Stobcross Crane, the tower of which can be seen in the bottom left corner. The Finnieston crane is working with a vessel alongside. Also in the view is the Lancefield Quay - Mavisbank Quay elevating deck vehicular ferryboat. The works in the middle left of the picture are the marine engine building works of David Elder & Co, Harland & Wolff and Barclay Curle where many of the engines lifted by the cranes were built
The following link has a similar but closer view of the Finnieston Crane in the mid 1950s when the General Terminus unloaders were being erected and the depth of water at the quay was being increased
Note: Previous to the establishment of the two 130 ton cranes at Finnieston and Princes Dock the Clyde Trust had provided a 50-ton fitting out crane at Finnieston and a 75 ton fitting out crane at Stobcross.