The electrically-powered Stobcross Crane, or Crane No 7 as it was named by the Clyde Navigation Trust when it was built in 1932, is no longer in use as a dock facility. See the cranes designation board at the following link;
The crane was built by Cowans Sheldon to replace the smaller steam-powered Finnieston Crane which was located about 500 feet upriver (where the City Inn now stands) as there was a plan in the 1920s to build a high level bridge across the river where the latter crane was located. In fact the new bridge did not appear until 70 years later (the Clyde Arc) and, when it did, it was not a high level bridge. However, Glasgow Corporation met 85% of the £65,000 cost of the new Stobcross crane. The picture at the following link (Glasgow Mitchell Library) shows the Stobcross Crane under construction and the Finnieston Crane further along the quay towards the right side of the picture. The Finnieston crane had been built in 1893 and had a maximum lift capacity of 130 tons. Although the new Stobcross crane had only 45 tons greater maximum lifting capability, it could slew such weights to a much greater distance off the quay and it was not uncommon to see two ships berthed side-by-side beneath the new crane.
A knock on effect of the new crane was the need to relocate the terminals for the Finnieston to Mavisbank vehicular and passenger ferry, which can also be seen on the previous link picture. They were moved approximately a quarter of a mile upsteam after which the ferry crossed from Lancefield Quay at Elliot Street to
For a while both the Stobcross Crane and the Finnieston crane were used to load heavy machinery onto vessels alongside the adjacent quay but eventually, as requirements reduced, the old Finnieston crane was removed. The Stobcross crane continued to lift many export steam locomotives form Glasgow's four huge locomotive building workshops at Springburn and Queens Park. The Springburn works alone produced in excess of 24,000 locomotives. The crane also lifted marine engines, built at the nearby works of David Rowan & Company (in Elliot Street off Lancefield Quay), into new ships and also heavy engineering products such as boiler parts, fans, pumps and gas turbines from local builders such as James Howden (Scotland Street), John Brown Engineering (Clydebank), G & J Weir (Cathcart) and Babcock & Wilcox (Renfrew) for export.