The light fawn coloured brick wall in the lower part of this picture ran for almost a mile around the entire Princes Dock complex. There was three main entrances to the Princes Dock - one at the west end in front of Govan Town Hall and the other two at the east end at the top and bottom of Mavisbank Road. It seems that the dock owners designated the top entrance as the main point of entry for it was there that they set this large red sandstone block into the perimeter wall.
The Clyde Navigation Trust was established in 1858 and was involved in dredging the River Clyde and in the provision of quays, dry docks and ferries and managing the trafic on the river between Glasgow and Greenock. The trust owned the riverbanks, quays and docks and a large fleet of dredgers, hopper barges, passenger and vehicle ferries, general workboats and a tug / tender. To service this large fleet they established ship repair yards, firstly at Dalmuir then at Renfrew. The Trust was administered from one of the finest of Glasgow's many wonderful Victorian buildings. It is located in Robertson Street at its corner with the Broomielaw, Glasgow's original quay.
four windsClyde Navigation Trust