The official logo of the Glasgow Garden Festival. The slogan of the event was 'A Day Out of this World'
The Glasgow Garden Festival was one of a number of events that took place in UK cities during the 1980s and 1990s. The Glasgow festival took place between April and September of 1988. The Festival was sited on former quays and dock basins on the south side of the River Clyde in the Cessnock / Govan areas of Glasgow. The area covered was that of the former General Terminus, Mavisbank Quay, Plantation Quay and the north, centre and south basins of the Princes Dock which had been reclaimed after the closure of the Dock in the late 1970s. Prior to the Garden Festival, these areas had lain largely derelict for a number of years. One objective of the festival was to instigate urban renewal programmes in the former docklands.
The Garden Festival concept had begun in the German city of Essen in 1937. Others followed in Vienna, Nice, Nancy and Berlin. The Glasgow festival was the third of five held in the UK and, in visitor terms the most successful. When the gates closed at the Glasgow Autumn holiday in September a total of 4,345,820 had visited the event (over 1 million more than the next largest (Liverpool). However, the number was much lower than that attracted to the city's last big festival - The Empire Exhibition held in Glasgow's Bellahouston Park in 1938, which attracted over 13 million visitors.